“Local herbs for local people” is our motto.
Rocore Clinic is so proud of their beautiful herb garden. We use local herbs in the herbal medicines that we use in our natural treatments.
All Herbs wild crafted for use in Roscore Clinic are collected in a sustainable way.
Native Irish herbs are used where possible in Roscore Clinic. Herbs are grown and harvested from the clinic’s herb garden. Wild herbs are also gathered in the fields, hedgerows, and woods around the Roscore area.
At present, Roscore Clinic can supply about 60% of its needs. We mainly use imported herbs for Panchakarma treatments; we are gradually including Irish herbs in this treatment.
Roscore Clinic’s recuperative tonic is almost exclusively locally grown native Irish herbs.
Roscore provides herbal remedies and tinctures, creams, poultices, syrups, dried herbs, decoctions, infusions, herbal capsules, and powders as well as skin and hair products.
When the whole plant is used, it contains a balanced mixture of many different compounds. These have an effect on the body that is very different from that of synthetic drugs.
Some of the herbs that we grow in Roscore’s herb garden are used in the following treatments.
Parts of Plant used: The leaf is used to make medicine
Sage has one of the longest histories of use of any culinary or medicinal herb. Ancient Egyptians used it as a fertility drug (Bown, 1995)
It is well documented that when women are given an aqueous extract of fresh sage leaf, it helps to reduce menopausal hot flashes and night sweats.
- Sage extract and tincture are all used in prepared medicines for mouth and throat and common digestive disorder
- Sage can be used effectively for throat infections, infected gums, and mouth ulcers.
- Sage is an excellent remedy for helping to remove mucous congestion in the airways.
Parts of Plant used: The root of the plant helped relieve menstrual cramps and symptoms of menopause.
Black Cohosh is a medicinal root. It can help with hot flashes and other symptoms associated with the menopause.
- It is used to treat women’s hormone-related symptoms, including premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and menstrual cramps.
- It is also used for reducing inflammation associated with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and neuralgia.
Parts of Plant used: Flowering heads. To be at its peak Red Clover is best picked on a sunny day, early morning or late evening as it needs both air and sunlight to maximise its medical properties.
The hormonal impacts of Red Clover are significant, particularly for women. The isoflavones found in Red Clover mimic estrogen, so for those women who may struggle to maintain oestrogen levels, Red Clover can help to balance their hormonal shifts and prevent mood swings, as well as reduce breast pain. This applies to women undergoing PMS as well as menopause, as both of these times can cause dangerous or unpredictable fluctuations in hormone levels.
- Its primary use is as a dermatological agent, and when combined with Remex Crispus is specific for Eczema and Psoriasis.
- It has antispasmodic and expectorant property and is used in the treatment of coughs and colds.
- Red Clover also has anti-cancer activity. Trifolium pratense is used to treat cystic ovaries and breasts lumps and swelling.
- It is long known as a lymphatic cleanser.
At Roscore Clinic we use herbs to aid digestion and to clear gas. We have our very own formula which includes herbs like:
- Fennel -Foeniculum vulgare
- Aniseed – Pimpinella anisum
- Dill – Anethum graveolens
- Marshmallow root – Marshmallow plant Althaea officinalis
- Slippery elm powder
At Roscore Clinic when the patient comes to see us, we address whatever are seen to be the main factors involved in the low iron and the consequent low haemoglobin. So we may have to supplement the diet with B12. Vitamin C is a key component in the absorption of iron so supplementation with vitamin C is essential. The best supplement for iron deficiency is Floradix.
Floradix is a natural iron supplement which is available as an elixir and in tablet form. The elixir is made from herbs, fruit and vegetable juices such as:
- Spinach – Spinacia oleracea
- Fennel – Foeniculum vulgare
- Nettle – Urtica dioica
- Beetroot- Beta vulgaris
- Grape- Vitis vinifera
- Other ingredients that increase energy, vitality, and resistance.
COPD is a condition which is being diagnosed far more often in recent times and it generally replaces the old diagnosis of emphysema. Emphysema was more a particular type of end-stage type of COPD. In the past, the main cause of emphysema was smoking. Nowadays, far less people are smoking but yet COPD is quite common. COPD is where the lung tissue itself is damaged.
At Roscore Clinic we use some of the following herbs to treat COPD.
- Lungwort. This herb was a very, very important herb in olden times to respond to many, many lung problems.
- Pleurisy root.
- Thyme – Thymus vulgaris
- White garlic – Allium sativum
- Regular garlic
We treat babies with colic with Carminatives. Carminatives are herbal remedies that are rich in volatile oils. Through their activity in the digestive system is stimulated to work properly and with ease by coordinating and regulating gut contractions. The main action is to soothe and settle the gut wall, thereby easing gripping pains and helping in the removal of gas from the digestive tract.
At Roscore Clinic we make our Carminative Herbal Remedy from
- Dill – Anethum graveolens
- Fennel – Foeniculum vulgare
- Aniseed – Pimpinella anisum
We use fennel seeds, which have a high content of fennel essential oils and fennel leaves. Fennel leaves are gentle and act slightly differently. They’re also more soothing. They are protective of the gut. They are probably more anti-inflammatory than the seeds.
At Roscore Clinic we treat flu and cold symptoms with our own blend of herbs that will enhance immunity, combat viruses, and/ or reduce symptoms. We use Natural Remedies for Flu and Cold Viruses.
These herbal remedies can boost immunity to prevent illness or support the body’s natural fighting tendencies, shortening the time we spend suffering.
One of the main herbs that we use in our treatments is Echinacea. Technically classified as a herb, several species of the Echinacea plant are used to make medicine from its flowers, leaves, and roots.
This herb has the ability to enhance general immunity. It stimulates white blood cells, one of the body’s first lines of defence against illness; increases production of interferon and other virus-fighting substances; and increases immune cells’ ability to engulf and destroy invading microbes.
No treatment of colds would be complete without Garlic and Ginger.
Garlic has a distinctive taste and smell and it was very highly thought of by the ancient Egyptians, who ensured that the slaves building the Great Pyramids at Cheops were given a daily supply.
Garlic has anti-bacterial properties that help the immune system to fight infection, it is an excellent boost to the immune system.
The reason for this is garlic contains several helpful compounds, including allicin, one of the plant kingdom’s most potent antibiotics. Garlic combines well with Echinacea and together make a strong fighting force against infections.
The Zingiber officinale botanical family to which ginger belongs includes three spices: turmeric, cardamom and ginger
Ginger is pain relieving, antiseptic and antioxidant. It is valuable for preventing and treating colds, sore throats, and inflammation of mucus membranes.
Ginger reduces pain and fever and has a mild sedative effect that will encourage rest. And it is tasty! Emmett has his own special Ginger tincture that he uses in the treatment of Flus and Colds.
Constipation can be a very serious condition and it must be addressed. In most cases people who don’t have a bowel movement, they’re going to feel bloated. They’re going to feel heavy. Their energy will be low. Everything goes wrong as you can appreciate.
At Roscore Clinic, we treat constipation with TRIPHALA. It is the best and safest and irrespective of what medication you’re on, probably the best and safest herbal formulation to use in this situation.
It’s from the Indian medical system Ayurveda. If the dose is high enough it will help to shift the bowels but it does it in a very gentle way. The other thing about Triphala is it encourages full emptying of the bowels which again is very important.
The three fruits involved in making Triphala are also known for their individual effects:1
- Amalaki: Amalaki, commonly known as Indian gooseberry or amla, is considered one of the most powerful rejuvenating herbs in Ayurveda. Has a cooling effect that manages and supports the natural functions of the liver and the immune system.
- Bibhitaki: Is particularly good for supporting the respiratory system. Bibhitaki also helps maintain balanced body fluid levels while toning and cleansing the colon.
- Haritaki: Is known for its “scraping” effect, which removes toxins and helps maintain healthy levels of weight.